Carrot Mufffincakes / New Jersey / Oct. 2007
I can't live without bread-like items. That no-carb diet is not for me. Give me bread every day of the week. Yesterday I was inspired by a huge bag of carrots to make a muffin that is really more like carrot bread or a light carrot cake. It's full of carrots, walnuts, and currants and the only reason that there are any left today is that the recipe made 30 muffins.
A few carrot facts:
- The wild ancestors of the carrot likely came from Afghanistan
- Falcarinol (a fatty acid in carrots) was shown to have anti-breast-cancer properties
- Originally carrots were grown for their aromatic leaves and seeds (maybe that's why I like to buy them at the farmstand with the greens still attached)
- Some relatives of the carrot: parsley, fennel, dill, cumin
- Not just orange: there are purple, yellow, white, and red varieties